Cute Maleficent Costume
Daughters & moms love to dress up like Angelina Jolie in her gorgeous Maleficent costume.
Costume is easy & you can put it together in one afternoon. Once your get started on this costume you will really see how simple it is.
All you have to do is basically purchase a black leotard & make a tulle skirt which is simply tying knots after a waist band. Glue on some rhinestones using purple and green sparkles. The raven can be a beautiful peacock feather with glitter.
What you will need:
- 2 rolls of black tulle (it is really sheer and you will need more)
- ½ roll of light green tulle
- ½ roll of green sparkle tulle
- 40 inches of a black ribbon
- Black leotard
- Crystal bead embellishments in purple and green
- Green crystal pendant
- Fabric fusion glue
- A raven bird
- Feather head piece (we found at Michaels)
- A black kitty headband
- Black felt with reptile pattern
- Fabric stiffener
Note: the amount of tulle needed is dependent on the size of your child’s waist. The one made was 20 inches.
Making the Horns:
- Cut out the shape of the horns you would like with paper first – this way you are making a pattern
- Cut out two horns the same direction, then flip the Horn pattern and cut Two more going the other way. This way you have the Reptile Pattern on both sides.
- Place the felt in liquid fabric stiffener and squeeze out the excess liquid and lay them flat, so they can dry
- Take your Kitty Headband and center the cat ear on the horn – See picture
- Add Fabric glue along the edges including the cat ear and then place the other horn piece on top . I did this with both ears and then places a stack of Magazines on top and left them to dry.
Making the Tutu:
Find the middle of your 40 Inch ribbon because you will want to make the first Tulle loop there, and mark it with a paper clip or tape.
Start cutting strips of the Tulle. This will also depend on the length you want the tutu to be – the shorter the fluffier it seems to be. Lena’s/Elsa’s strips of Tulle were 20 inches long, but you will be folding these in half so the strips will look 10 inches long. I cut up the both of the rolls of Black Tulle because I knew that was going to be my base color, which I would suggest. The nice thing is that you can really make this your own, so whatever you want to use as the main color will need the most! Then cut half of the rolls of the other colors, same length.
Place your ribbon in front of you, on your lap or the table and have the Tulle strips next to you.
Fold the Tulle in half and place it under the ribbon. You will then pull the ends through the loop over the ribbon ( see pictures) . Do this with base color and alternating however you want with the other colors. Make sure you alternate from the center so you have an even amount of strips from the middle of the ribbon.
Continue adding strips until it fits all the way around your little ones waist and you can tie it into a bow!
The Maleficent Leotard:
Lay out the Leotard on a flat surface.
Lay out all the little beads that you would like to add onto the Leotard before gluing so you can make any changes before they get messy or permanent =)
Use the Fusion glue and drop a little, and I mean LITTLE glue on the Leotard and then press down the beads onto the Leotard. You don’t need a lot of glue, a little goes a long way. It also takes about 2 hours to completely dry.
Then take the pendant and glue it down as well. This one I did do two little stitches on, but you can also secure it with a safety pin from the back. The pendant can get a little heavy so I double secured it.
I attached this feather headpiece to one shoulder of the Leotard. I put glue under the one strap and placed it on top of the headpiece and secured it with bobby pins until it was dry.
A Maleficent costume for little girls makes a Happy Halloween Haunting!
Special Thanks To Jenn Nichols – ANightOwlBlog For Costume Posting & Image Screenshots.